It’s been roughly a year since I purchased my 1990 Nissan 300ZX Z32. In this article, I’m going to list what upgrades I’ve done to the car over the last year, for use at Tampered Motorsport events held at Sandown. Hopefully it gives an insight into what’s required to get a road car prepared for track days.
It’s more of an entry level build, and my intention is for the car to be comfortable enough on the road but also safe and fast on the track, without huge money being spent. At the time of writing, the car has done three track days at Sandown, amounting to approximately 70 laps.
The following has been carried out/fitted on the 300ZX:
– 280mm diameter RDA slotted and dimpled brakes front and rear.
– Hawk HT-10 racing brake pads front and rear.
– Pbr Performance Dot 4 Brake Fluid.
– AMS Motorsports Master-cylinder brace.
– Dunlop Direzza Z3 235/40 17 tyres.
– OZ Racing Ultraleggera Wheels 17×8.
– AMS Motorsports 2.5” Stainless Steel Cat-back Exhaust.
– New oxygen sensors.
– Series 2 PTU Ignition Module.
– Replaced alternator.
– Removal of the rear seats.
– Removal of the rear sound deadening.
– Installation of a 1kg Amerex Fire Extinguisher in the passenger footwell.
– Sparco pedal pads.
– TriTech Engine oil 10W40.
– Ryco Oil Filter.
– Power steering fluid replaced
– Coolant flush.
– Roll cage installation.
– Racing seat.
– Adjustable coilover suspension.
– Performance Air filter.
The upgrades have helped to improve my best lap time at Sandown by about 3 seconds, with my best time being a 1.35.3. The biggest improvement in time has come from the R-spec tyres and lightweight wheels, with the master-cylinder brace also giving me more confidence under braking. Hopefully in the next year of ownership I’ll be able to get the further upgrades completed.If you enjoy this website, please donate to help it grow.