Recently, I was at the mechanic and overheard a lady talking about how much better old cars are overall in comparison to new cars. It got me thinking about my own experiences, having owned some older performance cars, but also being able to test some new cars on offer from different manufacturers.
– Available in two grades – 3.8 and 3.8 Ultimate.
– The $68,900 G80 3.8 opens the range, featuring Genesis Adaptive Control Suspension (GACS) with Australian tuning, nine airbags and the Genesis Active Safety Control suite.
It’s natural to be nervous about a big occasion, but as the time got closer to competing in my first track day with Tampered Motorsport, nerves started to get a hold of me. I’ve had my 1990 Nissan 300ZX for eight months, but the week before the event, the car was in at the mechanic getting some items finished off before the big day.
For a first attempt at a hot hatch, South Korean manufacturer Hyundai did a great job with the i30N, a car developed under the guidance of former BMW M boss Albert Biermann. The car shook up established contenders in this segment, including the Volkswagen Golf GTI, Honda Civic Type R and Ford Focus RS, by providing similar performance and value.
The story of the Megane R.S. and the Nurburgring has been going on for over 10 years. It started in 2008, with the very first record in the front-wheel-drive production car category, with the Megane R.S. R26.R completing the lap in 8 minutes 17 seconds. In 2019, the new Renault Megane R.S Trophy-R set a new record on the Nordschleife in the front-wheel-drive production car category.
– A new four-cylinder engine with MINI TwinPower Turbo technology with outputs of 225 kW and 450 Nm. The engine comprises a reinforced crankshaft, a main bearing with an extended cross-section, specific pistons, connecting rods and a new vibration damper with optimised cooling. The considerably increased output compared to the previous engine is also helped along by the bigger turbocharger.
BMW’s 1 Series range was introduced in 2004. A highlight for me was the BMW 130i that came out in the mid 2000’s. I liked its purposeful styling combined with a wonderful naturally aspirated six-cylinder engine, six-speed manual gearbox and rear-wheel drive layout.
– The car will come in three trim levels in most markets, including the GT-R Premium, GT-R Track Edition and GT-R NISMO.
– Comes in three heritage era, two-tone exterior colour combinations meant to represent the GT-R’s liveries from the Japan GP series.
When thinking of great mid-engined sports cars to come out of Japan in the 1980’s and 1990’s, the Honda NSX immediately springs to mind. Before the NSX, Nissan produced a little known mid-engined concept car called the MID4, designed to compete against the best from Porsche and Ferrari.
To celebrate my 100th website post I’ll be giving away 10 Automotive Torque car stickers for free! Please contact me if interested.
The Suzuki Swift has been around for a number of decades and has always been a small, light, fun and affordable car. Over this time, there have also been some performance versions of the car, most notably the Swift GTi that was produced from 1989 all the way through to 2000. The Swift Sport took over as the performance model in 2005 and continues to this day, currently being in its fourth generation.
The Rob Roy hillclimb is located about an hour’s drive north-east of Melbourne near Sugarloaf Reservoir in Christmas Hills. This historically significant track is one the world’s oldest purpose built hillclimb tracks, with origins dating back to 1935. The first meeting was run in February 1937, and the track was fully bituminised in 1939. Continue reading “Rob Roy Hillclimb”