GT3 racer Maro Engel has set a new overall lap record for production cars around the Nurburgring Nordschleife in a Mercedes-AMG GT Black Series, with an officially certified time of 6 minutes 43.616 seconds for the 20.6 kilometre-long track.
To achieve this, the car had the following setup:
– The front splitter made of visible carbon fibre was extended to the “Race” position.
– The lower and upper wing blades of the rear spoiler were each adjusted in the middle position.
– The adjustable AMG coilover suspension with adaptive adjustment damping was lowered by five millimetres at the front and three millimetres at the rear to further enhance the venturi effect of the front diffuser.
– The camber was adjusted to the maximum possible values of negative 3.8 degrees at the front axle and negative 3.0 degrees at the rear.
– In the case of the adjustable anti-roll bars, Engel opted for the hardest of the three possible settings, and the 35-year-old adjusted the nine-stage AMG traction control between positions six and seven-depending on the section of the track.
-Use of the MICHELIN Pilot Sport Cup 2 R MO tyres with “soft compound,” which are completely standard equipment.
– Standard AMG ceramic high-performance composite brake system and Track Package with rollover protection system and four-point safety belts offered as standard equipment.
“That was a really impressive ride,” said Maro Engel after completing the record lap. “With speeds of up to almost 270 km/h in the Kesselchen section of the track or well over 300 km/h on the long Döttinger Höhe straight, the AMG GT Black Series is significantly faster than my GT3 race car. Like my GT3 race car, the AMG GT Black Series offers a lot of adjustment possibilities, all of which enabled me to create a setup that was tailor-made for me.”
“It’s really impressive how much downforce the Black Series generates and how confident and reliable it can be driven, even at the absolute limit. My hat is off to the developers from Affalterbach for what they have put on wheels here. And I’m very pleased that I was able to demonstrate these fascinating engineering skills with this great lap time,” said Engel.